BMS has all of your
At BMS people are the key element. A focus on people, includes both our customers and our staff, ensuring that our honest and driven staff offer best possible service and continue to do so through quality training and development programs. Hence we acknowledge the importance of recognizing and rewarding behavior and performance that supports our company principles and business goals. Together with service, we provide a focused range of products to meet the needs of both our retail and trade customers, aiming to consistently deliver orders on-time and in-full. We are committed to supplementing our trade range, by sourcing non-stock products at fair prices and in reasonable time-frames. We aspire to own this service, product and delivery offer throughout the south-west Queensland region.
Who We Are
BMS has a delivery service that spans the entre South East Queensland region and into Northern NSW. We support this service through a company owned and operated fleet of 6 trucks & 5 utes, including crane trucks.
BMS have three pickup locations that cover the Toowoomba region and together provide more than 23,000 square meters of warehousing to the building trades.
We pride ourselves on our level of service and have a dedicated Trade Sales team of twenty staff (including four Representatives) that focus specifically on servicing the builders / trades needs ith not only stocked product, but can source all products should the need arise.
BMS is a key supplier partner for James Hardie, Boral Plaster Board, USG Compounds and Ceiling Systems, Rondo Steel, Humes Doors, Hyne Timber, Dindas, Tilling Timbers, Corinthian Doors and Gainsborough locks in the region.
The business currently operating as Building Material Supplies Pty. Ltd. was founded in the depression year of 1934 when Mr. E. J. Moss, a glass tradesman, commenced trading in Toowoomba under the name “The Glasshouse”, from premises at 15 Little Russell Street.
Two years later in 1936, an approach was made by the Birsbane Mirror Company to combine the operation of “The Glasshouse” with the operations of their Toowoomba Branch. At that time the Brisbane Mirror Company was trading from premises in Ruthven Street, just north of Russell Street, and was experiencing difficulties.
After negotiations it was agreed that the Brisbane Mirror Company purchase the business operated by Mr. E.J. Moss and he was appointed Manager of their Toowoomba operations. The Brisbane Mirror Company continued to trade from both the Ruthven Street and Russell Street premises until the leases expired in 1939, when the business was transferred to 201 Margaret Street.
In 1940, due to wartime staff shortages, a decision was made by the Board of th Birsbane Mirror Company to close the Toowoomba Branch, and transfer all staff to Brisbane, including Mr. E.J. Moss who was offered the position of Sales Manager. Mr. Moss was not prepared to move to Brisbane and after negotiations purchased the Toowoomba operations of the company, and commenced to trade under the name “E.J. Moss”.
In 1945 the business commenced to branch out into wholesaling a full range of Building Supplies, China and Fancy Goods, and General Household Hardware. The increased activity enabled the business to employ additional staff as they returned from the war effort.
In 1948 two companies, E.J. Moss Pty. Ltd. and E.J. Moss (Wholesale) Pty. Ltd. were formed to cover this expansion.
The Wholesale company operated for a period from premises at 32 Bell Street, and this operation was moved to the present Ruthven Street site in 1956. Eventually the Margaret Street store was closed down, and the complete operations of both companies were located at 252 Ruthven Street.
In 1968 the premises at Ruthven Street were extended with the erection of the present Warehouse Building. Further expansion was undertaken in 1975 with the erection of a Factory Building on a five acre site in Taylor Street, and the transfer of the Aluminium and Glass sections to this new factory. Early the following year a much larger showroom was constructed at Ruthven Street.
In 1963 it was decided to cease trading in China and Fancy Goods and General Household Lines, and to concentrate purely on supplies to the Building Trade. To cover this change, the name of the company was changed from E.J. Moss Pty. Ltd. to Building Material Supplies Pty. Ltd.
In March 1976, the Southern Cross Corporation purchased all shares in the holding company of the B.M.S. Group. Up to this date the business had operated as a private family company, with Mr. E.J. Moss continuing as Chairman of Directors until his resignation from the board on 16 March, 1976.
Early in 1977, an adjoining property at 250 Ruthven Street was purchased to allow for further expansion of the Ruthven Street operations.
In October 1978, extensive alterations were made to Ruthven Street premises, greatly increasing the area of the ground floor showroom, and providing modern air-conditioned first-floor offices.
In September 1980 a store was opened in the Hooper Centre Shopping Complex. This extra outlet necessitated a change of trading name to “BMS Building Centres” and enabled us to cater for the increased demand in the Do-It-Yourself Home Handyman Market.
Further developments occured in September 1982, with the opening of a branch store in the Range Shopping Centre, and in October 1982, the Windscreen Division moved from Taylor Street to occupy its own premises in Telford Street.
“All Doors”, an established specialist door fitting company, was taken over on the 1st November 1982. Other products such as Roofing, Wall Cladding, and Fencing were introduced to the range of products handled at “All Doors”, and this branch then also traded under the name “B.M.S. Home Improvements”.
January 1984 saw the close of the Hooper Centre Branch which enabled us to consolidate and expand our Home Handyman Centre at the Range Shopping Centre.
In April 1984, the Windscreen Division moved from Telford Street to much larger premises in Herries Street.
In July 1984, we joined the Mitre 10 Group, enabling greater purchasing power and greater promotional capabilities particularly to the retail sector.
May 1987 saw the sale of “All Doors” to Bob Allan (Manager) and June 1987 the sale of the Windscreen Division to Pilkington ACI Windscreens (previously Australian Autoglass).
This divestment of branches was the stepping stone for Ron Moss and his wife Heather in July 1987 to purchase all the shares in BMS from the Southern Cross Corporation. After eleven years, BMS Mitre 10 was again under control of the family that established the business well over 50 years earlier.
June 1988, G. James Glass and Aluminium Pty. Ltd. purchased the Glass and Aluminium Factory at Tyalor Street. This concluded the divestment of the BMS Group, which began in May 1987.
The final break from the Southern Cross Organisation came in August 1988, with the installation of our own IBM Series 36 Computer System.
The remaining two Hardware Stores at 252 Ruthven Street and at the Range Shopping Centre continue to trade under the Trading Name “BMS Mitre 10”
December 1991 saw the close of the Range Shopping Centre Branch which enabled us to consolidate, and expand from a 290 square metre store to a 600 square metre store comprising Mitre 10 Gardener at Wyalla Plaza, Shop 15/238 Taylor Street. This more than enabled us to cater for the Do-It-Yourself Home Handyman market as well as stoking specific product lines to attract Trade Customers in a growth area.
Due to continued growth in the sheeting market coupled with a demand for more storage space in our Ruthven Street premises, the company decided to open a sheeting division located at 43 – 45 Raff Street. This new division was opened in July 1992 and is dedicated to board product and associated lines.
February 1998 saw the opportunity to further consolidate the Mitre 10 Brand in Toowoomba with the purchase of Toowoomba Tool & Hardware Pty. Ltd. trading as TT Hardware as a going concern, on the corner of Mort and Finchley Streets, Toowoomba. The location with an area of 3877 m² comprised 771 m² of Retail Sales Area, 632 m² of Warehouse Storage Area, 106 m² of Office Area, 799 m²of Secured Yard Area, and 1569 m² of Access, Driveway and sealed Carpark.
As the support for the Mitre 10 brand had continued to grow in the Toowoomba area, so had the requests from customers for a store on the southern side of the city. On 11 November 1999 an existing unused purpose built hardware complex was purchased. The land area comprises 8885 m² with the building covering 2266 m² and yard area of 606 m². The store that was operating in Mort Street was relocated to a newly renovated, larger store at 446-456 Stenner Street, Toowoomba which officially opened on 1 March 2000. Existing TT Hardware employees manage and staff the store, but it trades as BMS Mitre 10 Home and Trade. This gives all BMS customers access to the widest possible range of products and services that can be provided to the handyman, serious renovator and tradesman alike.
There is now three conveniently located BMS Mitre 10 Stores – Ruthven Street, Wyalla Plaza and Stenner Street
May 2001 saw Princess Hardware Group Pty. Limited purchase all the shares in BMS Mitre 10.
December 2009 Carrington Road opened with 2000 m² of showroom and 8000 m² of warehouse space. This site is trade focused with all deliveries now coordinated from the site.
June 2010 Raff Street closed as all product and services were relocated to Carrington Road.
January 2011 Wyalla Plaza closed as all product services were relocated to Carrington Road.